Monday, June 29, 2026

No 3 - The Ore Car Repair Shop, Ore Cars & Smelter

Building Out the Interior - June 24, 2026

Work continues on the interior of the Ore Car Repair Shop.  This has taken a lot more time than I expected!  A cut stone wall has been installed behind the future location of the blacksmith's forge.  The rafters have also been installed to support a storage area on the upper level.

Here is how the interior will look after the roof is installed.  At this point, some of the interior details need to be installed.  Once the flooring is in place for the 2nd level storage area. access below the floor will be difficult.

 

Interior Details - May 26, 2026

June 26, 2026 - My grandson Adam who is almost 14 got busy painting the interior details for the ore car repair shop.  He primed the parts with Tamiya spray and painted them with craft paints.  Once he was finished, I weathered all the parts with Pan Pastels.

Ladders are everywhere.  The late Brian Ellerby built this styrene fixture for making ladders out of scale 2x4's.  Here it is being used to build the ladder that will access the storage area above the ore car repair shop.

Here is the finished ladder.

The ebay Ore Cars

Note: In the last update I mentioned the ore cars that I purchased on ebay.  After receiving them, I don't recommend them.  The quality of the 3D printing is terrible with lots of flash and voids.

I went ahead and tried to "clean up" the models anyway.

The end results are JUNK and a rip off.  I should have returned them.  I'll paint a weather them but they will be scrapped as soon as I can find suitable replacements.

Note:  The seller has offered to replace these kits.  I will post an update after they are received 

The Smelter - June 29, 2026

Most of the "peel & stick" siding has been painted and installed.  It is important to follow the instructions when it comes to attaching the siding because some of the panels overlap at the corners.  The only place I could find to set up and get a up-to-date picture of the smelter complex was on our dining room table.  The receiving shed and ore bins should be sitting at the same level as the ore shed, 1 1/2" higher than the  Blast Furnace building.  Overall dimensions as shown - 76" x 28". 

From left to right - The Supply Bins, the Blast Furnace Building with the Loading Dock and Granulator up front, the Ore Supply Building, the Receiving Shed, and the Ore Bins.



As always, your comments, suggestions & questions are welcome

No comments:

Post a Comment